Australia Day 2017

Australia Day has come around again, and instead of celebrating as I usually do, I changed it up a bit.

We celebrated my mum's birthday by visiting with her, having lunch and cake and relaxing in the air con as it was hitting 38C by 11am!

It's also the 20th anniversary of my mum, sister and I becoming Australians!  It was a super hot day out in a tiny country town - Theodore, and they held a big ceremony at the Australia Day celebrations.  We said our special oath and were presented with a Bottlebrush tree.  Of all three, only one survived and is now growing big and strong in mum's backyard.

This little girl, in the digi image to the left, reminds me of the day I arrived off the big airplane from New Zealand, we had to climb down the stairs onto the tarmac and walk across to the airport.  After an hour in customs - melting in our very warm New Zealand winter clothes - we found our way to my dad, who was waiting for us.  He handed me a little koala (that I still have), it was grey and had a little shirt on it that said "I love Australia".  That was the start of my new adventure.

This totally cute image is from La La Land Crafts and has been coloured with my Copics.  It's hard to tell in the photo, but the stripy background is shiny gold.

I used some gloss on the nose of the koala hat, and her eyes.  I added tiny little blue buttons to the image and made a little flag by printing off a flag and glueing it to a toothpick.

I have joined the following challenges:

C.R.A.F.T. Challenge - Anniversary
Cute Card Thursday - Something Fun
Simon Says Stamp - Anything Goes
Creative Moments - Anything Goes / Keep it Feminine

4 comments

Virginia L. said...

How fun and cute is this! Love your layering and attentions to details! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge! Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

Brenda said...

I loved hearing the story of your special anniversary! Your card is darling, I especially love all the very special details. Thanks so much for sharing with us at CRAFT Challenge this week!

Gina said...

What a lovely happy memory to share...and I can see why that image invoked it :D Wonderful card, and belated Happy Australia day to you ad yours. Thank you for sharing with us at CWWC Challenge XXX

Vickie Y said...

Adorable image and card! Thank you for sharing with us at the CWWC Challenge.