Day 14 - Sugar Skull

Hi and welcome to everyone from the 31 Days of Halloween blog hop!  If you want to see more of the awesomeness that this blog hop has to offer, the you can find the blog roll on the left in my sidebar.

The Day of the Dead or Dia De Muertos,  is fast approaching - it's celebrated throughout Mexico and by many cultures around the world.  The holiday is for family and friends to come together and pray and remember family members who have died.  The celebration covers October 31, November 1 & November 2 in connection with Allhallowtide, All Hallows' Eve, Hallowmas and All Souls Day.  Traditions include building alters, honoring the dead with sugar skulls, marigolds and favourite foods and gifts are taken to the dearly departed's grave.

So that's the tradition behind the above skull - I made mine to hang for Halloween, and because I've seen so many lately that I've grown to love them!

I picked up a plain paper mache skull at Lincraft, then gave it two coats of white acrylic paint.  
I added some purple rhinestones in various sizes and also some beautiful blingy corners that fit perfectly around each eye.  I used clear Stickles around the eye holes.
I used a Stampin' Up heart stamp to create the shape on the mask's forehead using purple paint.  I glued artificial flowers, leaves and sprigs of baby's breath around the top of the mask, and added some ribbons to hang from each side of the mask.  I also glued on a sparkly black spider, which sits on the heart shape.
I painted purple around the eyes and the chin.  I used a black Sharpie and doodled lines and details around the mask - including the teeth, flourishes and spider web.

14 comments

maureenjscott said...

This is stunning. I love the purple - all the flowers and ribbon and paint, it looks fabulous with the white paint. An amazing creation - love it! mo xxx

My Side of Oz said...

Love sugar skulls! It is such an interesting, colorful art form! This is a beautiful skull you've made! The flowers and the spider and the doodles, the stickles....oh my gosh.. the list goes on and on!! I adore this soooo much!!

Laura S Reading said...

Your ancestors would be honored to be represented so well.
Absolutely stunning!

DonnaMundinger said...

This is gorgeous! I do my dining room totally in Dia de los Muertos decor. The whole thing is an altar, honoring our family. Just purchased a similar mask at a craft show that is not nearly as nice as this. Fabulous job! xxD

TangledBlueRose said...

Beautiful mask! I love the purple heart and flowers. Your marker details are so gorgeous! Thanks for sharing so much about Day of the Dead.
~kim

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, beautiful, awesome!!
I love the details, colour choices and the beauty of this project.

Unknown said...

This is fantastic! Love all the purple and the bling! Are you gonna wear it on the Day of the Dead?

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

Stunning. Love how you decorated your sugar skull mask.

Leigh S-B - The Sharpie Domino Queen said...

Absolutely BOOOOOTIFUL! Really stunning DOTD mask!

Susan Renshaw said...

This is a fantastic sugar skull! I am really impressed by your creativity!

Steph said...

Beautiful sugar skull, love all your doodles too.

Unknown said...

So unbelievably beautiful. Once again purple and crystals i.e. sparkles Rock

Julia said...

Beautiful Skull!! Great use of colors.

Christine Kiehl said...

I simply have not enough words to share how amazing this skull is! Amazing just doesn't seem to come close to covering how cool I think it turned out! Will it be for sale?