Day 11 - Some light reading

Hi and welcome to everyone from the 31 Days of Halloween blog hop!  If you want to see more of the awesomeness that this blog hop has to offer, the you can find the blog roll on the left in my sidebar.

Ooh do I have a treat for you today!!  I had so much fun creating this that the pumpkin hour passed and it was well into 2am before I finished!!  I picked up this "book" at the dollar store, it comes pre covered and hollowed out.  I had a huge bag from Typo with all this cool printing on the side (and some skeletons), so I cut it up and lined the inside of the book.  It has a lovely aged look to it too.  Then I started to fill it with Halloween goodies.
I started at the bottom with a little skeleton and some webbing.  I glued on a little glitter covered pumpkin and then a tall jar of Bat Blood.  I picked up the jars at another dollar store, and filled them will things from my pantry.  This jar has red food colouring in it, it even stained the glass nicely.  I tied some old twine around the neck and glued on a label from Brooklyn Limestone.  There's a whole sheet of them, and I used messy hot glue to make them more authentic.  I also added a feather and a tiny jar (which I filled with salt).
For these two bottles I filled them with Soy Sauce, and vegetable oil and topped with little skulls that I bought from an op-shop as part of a bracelet.  I used a matchbox base, filled with shredded cotton balls and glued in some realistic eyes (I've made reborns in the past and was lucky to find these in my stash).  Then I inked around the cotton balls and box to age it a bit.  
Using an old book I made some scrolls and tied them together with twine.  Then I glued them into the book.  I added some Calla Lillies (cause they're poisonous and just seemed to fit here) and another little bottle of Goblin Guts (green food colouring).
On the left side of the book I added some more labels, and put some eyelets on them to look like they've been pinned up.  The edges are distressed too.  I glued on a spider that I added a stripe of red Stickles, and some webbing made of hot glue.
On the left is a piece of witches hair - it's actually mohair that I use on dolls, There's a digi image from The Paper Shelter, that I inked and distressed and a test tube with skeleton bones inside.  I made the label look like it's been ripped off and partially glued.  Down the front is more tiny bottles filled with spices and peppers from my pantry and a little cauldron that I added bronze Stickles to for flames.
I love how this bottle turned out.  I poured in some green Stickles and then dripped some down the edges.  Then added the label the same as the others, with hot glue.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog :)

15 comments

Steph said...

Oh wow this is amazing. I love each little treasure you've placed inside, so many details and fun embellishments. What a wonderful Halloween creation.

TangledBlueRose said...

Sarah! I think you have outdone yourself here! I love everything you have added to this wonderful book! I really like the green jar with the Stickles! Love the messy glued labels, so great. So much to enjoy here, thanks so much for sharing!~kim

DonnaMundinger said...

OMG, this is so fabulous! I can see you've had a ball with finding and assembling all of the magical stuff. Amazing down to the smallest detail. Love, love, LOVE! xxD

My Side of Oz said...

I am lost in this book! I could wander around for hours! Absolutely love it and hope you will let me make something along these lines cause I must have one! This is just too cool!! Love it sooooo much!

Unknown said...

There is so much awesome detail going on here, I have to keep looking at it over and over again!

(AJ) ArtJypsy said...

WOW. Fabulous creation today. Don't know which element I like best. So many great ideas in one little box.

Julia said...

So many details, thanks for sharing how you created some of the little pieces.

maureenjscott said...

WOW!!!! This is simply stunning! The whole concept is fabulous, I love the hollowed out 'book' and all the details that are in there - the eyes, the test tubes - love the green stickles! Love the hot glue on the labels! love the bottles and rolls of papers! This is amazing! Love it all!!! Xxx

valscraftings said...

Amazing project...such a lot to look at!

Leigh S-B - The Sharpie Domino Queen said...

So frightfully fangtastic! A real treat for sure! Love every single additon!

Unknown said...

This is truly wonderful! So much to see! I think my two favorites (if I had to pick, that is) are the realistic-looking eyes in the box and the mohair hanging over on the left. I have tons of spinning fibers that it never even occurred to me to use in my Halloween creations! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Susan Renshaw said...

This is absolutely amazing! So much to look at! Love it!

Unknown said...

Now this is my kind of box. Covered to the hilt with no room to spare.

Laura S Reading said...

This project is to die for!
My new favorite of all my favorites.

Christine Kiehl said...

This is the bomb diggity of shadow boxes/books! Wishing it was part of my collection of Halloween goodies. One could spend several hours looking at all the enclosed goodies. Love those tiny little potion bottles you made, those are A+++