First come the invitations. Since Ariel is all about the ocean I thought a "message in a bottle" would be appropriate and a work colleague of mine is doing this for her wedding. Because this birthday is for children I opted for little plastic bottles. I drained the water and set them out to dry while I coloured in my mermaid image from Whimsie Doodles. I used my copics. I didn't go all detailed and shaded like I normally would because I had ten of them to do. I get bored doing the same thing over and over, so I just decided there and then to just colour them in. I added a tiny stick on gem to her starfish in her hair.
I then worked on my crate-paper rosettes. Again with having ten I didn't want to be sewing them all up. So I just pleated them in my hands, slowly turning as I went until I got the desired rosette. I added a little glue to the back to prevent it from unraveling.
For the actual bottles I didn't try to peel off the label I just wrapped some handmade, slightly shiny and textured paper around and glued. Then I added some ribbon. The ribbon came in a pack of 3, so I used all three on the bottles so they didn't all look the same.
Now the rosettes are ready to go on the bottle with Ariel on top. I also added a fork. Why a fork you ask? Well for any die-hard Ariel fan you will know that it's not a fork, it's a Dinglehopper!
Anyway back to the invite.....inside the bottle is six scoops of sand, a sprinkle of little shells and two sprinkles of gold and blue stars. Then I rolled up the invite, tied some yellow twine around it and dropped in through the neck of the bottle. Because of the sand, the invite sits right at the top of the bottle which makes it easy to remove.
On the lids I glued one flat glass marble and a small shell.
Sophia was very impressed and couldn't wait to hand them out today at kindy!!
- Tuesday Alchemy - Anything but a card
- Paper Playtime - Anything goes
- Card Crafter's Circle - Texture
- Pattie's Creations - Birthday
- Natalie & Amy - Colour Me Happy (Ocean Colours)
- Paper Pretties - Anything but a card
- Catch The Bug Challenge Blog - Anything but a card
- One Stitch at a Time - Use a digi
- The Squirrel and the Fox - Anything goes
- Simply Create Too - Use your stash (crate paper I bought months ago and forgot I had until now, sand - stole it from Sophia's sand table, twine - which I never use enough of!)
- Oldie but a goodie challenge - Anything but Christmas (crate paper was bought for an ocean theme at work - omg over a year ago! Here I was thinking it was only months!!)
- Songbird Challenge - Diamonds are a girls best friend. (There's a tiny dot of bling on Ariel's starfish in her hair and there's sparkles in the bottles.