In the layout you see above I used a few different techniques. I used some plastic flowers which I pinched the tips and added some silk flowers and a brad to the centre.
For the journaling spot, I have had this little set of 3 frames for years and never used them, so I cut the other two frames off and sanded the edges, then positioned it over the edge of the photo. Very carefully I cut out the protruding photo with my knife and then put 3D foam dots under the frame and stuck it down
A couple of other things: I stickled some of the sparkly pattern in the background paper, and I had the photos matted for me when I got the photos processed - it saves so much time and paper when you go to scrap!